My daadi - a tribute

My beloved grandmother passed away on October 30, 2014.

She was very dear to me, and I used to spend a lot of time with her when I was in India. We would talk for hours, and discuss Sikh history as well as Guru's teachings. Sometimes, we would just disagree and then after some debating talks, we used to have a laugh at our discussion. All my childhood, I spent beneath her benevolent eyes. When I "grew-up" and went overseas, I would talk to her on phone and video call whenever she was around.
She was the one who ignited and boosted the sikh spirit in me. I would watch her dedication towards living a true sikh, a disciplined one.

When I went to India in March, 2013, I had the auspicious moments to spend some quality time with her. Her vision and hearing was highly deteriorated, and it was very hard for her to see or hear anyone. When I reached her room, she was resting. I sat next to her, held her arm and started whispering near her ear. She sat up, trying to recognize who is the person sitting next to her. Upon recognizing, she had the best smile in the whole world, and exuberant and joyfully said "mera raja aa gaya, mera laal aa gaya" (my little king has come, my precious has come). She hugged me and cried. We had our sweet talk after many months, and it was one of the best moments. The picture at the right, tells all the story.


...

I was asleep in a foreign country when she took her last breath. When I woke up and read the text message, I called my family right away. My sister was sobbing and confirmed that grandma is no more. I was sad. After talking a little, I kept the phone. I cried. But, remembering her, I regained myself and remembered her fulfilling life, her passion towards Gurbani, who witnessed the difficult times of 1947 and 1984, her warrior nature who never gave up nor let anyone of us give up, on anything! A true Khalsa. A satisfaction dawned upon me.

Today, the final chapters in the readings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji are approaching, and the Granthi will make an attempt to pray for her soul to rest in peace.
Learning from my mama, my daadi, I knew that the only way one can get peace is through the Guru.

To say what I wanted to say, I wrote a tribute to her...

ਜਦ ਮੈਂ ਸੀ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੋਇਆ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਮੇਨੂ ਆਪਣੀ ਗੋਦ ਚ ਚਕਿਆ 
ਮਿਠੀ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਮੇਨੂ ਗੁੜਤੀ ਦਿਤੀ, ਗੁਰ ਬਾਨੀ ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਜੋ ਦੱਸੀ 
ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ, ਬਾਬਾ ਮਰਦਾਨਾ, ਸਿਖੀ ਕੀ ਹੈ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਮੇਨੂੰ ਦੱਸਿਆ 
ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ, ਚਾਰ ਸਾਹਿਬਜ਼ਾਦੇ, ਸਾਖੀਆਂ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਮੇਨੂੰ ਦੱਸਿਆ 
ਜਦ ਕਦੀ ਹਨੇਰਾ ਮੇਨੂੰ ਡ੍ਰਾਂਦਾ, ਸੋਹਿਲੇ ਦਾ ਕਿਲਾ ਬਣ ਜਾਂਦਾ 
ਡਰਨਾ ਨਹੀ ਹੈ ਕਿਸੇ ਤੋ ਵੀ, 
ਦੱਸਿਆ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਪੰਜਵੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਬਾਰੇ, ਜੋ ਬੈਠੇ ਸੀ ਤਤੀ ਤਵੀ 
ਥੋੜਾ ਹੋਰ ਮੈਂ ਵੱਡਾ ਹੋਇਆ, ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਤੋਂ ਹੀ ਸਿਖਦਾ ਹੋਇਆ 
ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੇ ਕਮਰੇ ਜਾਂਦਾ, ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਨੂੰ ਮਥੇ ਟਿਕਾਂਦਾ 
ਕਿਰਪਾਨ ਪਾ ਕੇ ਤੁਹਾਡੀ, ਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ ਮੈਂ ਸਿੰਘ ਬਣ ਜਾਂਦਾ
ਖੰਡੇ ਦੀ ਪਾਹੁਲ ਦਾ ਸਮਾ ਜਦੋ ਆਇਆ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਪਿਆਰ ਦਾ ਮੀਂਹ ਵਰਸਾਇਆ 
ਥੋੜਾ ਸਮਾ ਹੋਰ ਬੀਤ ਗਿਆ, ਕਾਲਜ ਜਦੋ ਮੈਂ ਚਲਾ ਗਿਆ 
ਮੁੜ ਕੇ ਆਇਆ ਛੁਟੀ ਕਟਣ, ਕਾਲਜ ਦੀਆਂ ਗਲਾਂ ਦੱਸਣ 
ਪਰ ਬਾਬਾਜੀ ਛਡ ਕ ਚਲੇ ਗਏ, ਅਸੀਂ ਸਾਰੇ ਸਦਮੇ ਚ ਬੈਠ ਗਏ 
ਤੁਸੀਂ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਪਾਠ ਸੀ ਕਰਦੇ, ਸਹਜ ਚ ਬੈਠੇ, ਸਾਨੂੰ ਆਪਣੇ ਕਲਾਵੇ ਲੇਂਦੇ 
ਮਾਟੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਹ਼ੋਈ ਏਕ, ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦੀ ਸਿਖਿਆ ਦੇਂਦੇ  
ਹੈਰਾਨ ਹੋਇਆ ਸੀ ਮੈਂ ਤਕਦਾ, ਕਿਵੇਂ ਇੰਨੀ ਹਿਮ੍ਮਤ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ ਦਿਤੀ?
ਸਿਖਾ ਦਿਤਾ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਮੇਨੂੰ, ਇਹ ਸੀ ਤਾਕਤ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦੀ 
ਤੇਰਾ ਕੀਆ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਗੇ, ਹਰ ਨਾਮ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਾੰਗੇ 
ਪੰਜਵੇ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ ਦੀ ਸਿਖਿਆ ਨੂੰ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਪ੍ਰਤਖ ਜੀ ਕੇ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ
ਔਖੀ ਘੜੀ ਨੂ ਸੋਖਾ ਮਨਣਾ, ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਤੇ ਚਲਣਾ 
ਸਭ ਉੱਤੇ ਇਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟ ਸਮਾਨ, ਅਸੀਸਾਂ ਦਾ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਪੁੱਲ ਸੀ ਬੰਨਿਆ  
ਬਿਰਧ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਵਿਚ ਆਕੇ ਵੀ, ਨਿਤਨੇਮ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਨਹੀ ਛਡਿਆ 

ਅੱਜ...
ਤੁਸੀਂ ਵੀ ਛਡ ਕੇ ਚਲੇ ਗਏ, 
ਬੈਠਾ ਸਤ ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਪਾਰ, ਉੱਡ ਕੇ ਆਨ ਨੂ ਲਾਚਾਰ 
ਨਹੀ ਹਾਂ ਮੈਂ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਸਰਾਣੇ, ਅਲ੍ਲਾਹ ਦੀ ਮਰਜ਼ੀ ਕੋਈ ਨਾ ਜਾਣੇ 
ਖਬਰ ਨੂੰ ਸੁਣ ਕੇ ਸੀ ਮੈਂ ਰੋਇਆ, ਪਰ ਤੁਹਾਡੀ ਸਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲ ਉਠ ਖਲੋਇਆ 
ਕਉਨ ਮੂਆ ਰੇ ਕਉਨ ਮੂਆ, ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਮੈਂ ਪੜਿਆ
ਪਵਨ ਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਪਵਨ ਸਮਾਵੈ, ਜੋਤੀ ਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਜੋਤ ਰਲ ਜਾਵੇ 
ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਇਹ ਗਿਆਨ, ਨਾ ਕ਼ੋਈ ਮਰੇ ਨਾ ਆਵੇ ਜਾਵੇ 

ਹੁਣ ਮੇਨੂੰ ਪੇਈ ਹੈ ਸੋਝੀ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਨਹੀ ਗਏ ਹੋ ਕਿਥੇ
ਮੇਰੀ ਮਾਮਾ, ਮੇਰੀ ਦਾਦੀ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਹਾਲੇ ਵੀ ਹੋ ਇਥੇ
ਮੇਰੀ ਮਾਮਾ, ਮੇਰੀ ਦਾਦੀ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਹਾਲੇ ਵੀ ਹੋ ਇਥੇ...

Comments

Unknown said…
We will miss ur presence mama... But your teachings will remain part of Jagjinders life and hence mine! Wish I could have spent little more time with you!!! I wanted to meet you, see you smiling again, but ... I am sure you will keep showering your blessings on ur kids from wherever you are...stay at peace!!!
Unknown said…
Very touching...Even I feel the same for my Grandmother...She used to educate me about our Guru teachings and history and used to pray for me, my success everytime.
I am what I am today, all because of her blessing and prayers....
And very beautiful poem written by you in rememberance of your Grand mother. May her soul rest in peace.
Jagjinder said…
Thanks Puneet Singh ji. I totally feel you. God bless!

Popular Posts