8 hours of Sleep??? - Part 2

Slowly time passed by, I started reading Gurbaani. I don’t know whether my parents did right or wrong, they never forced me to read Gurbaani. Never! While I was in school, they asked me to do the path, and if it was my will, I did, otherwise I just recited Mool-mantar 5 times, and I was done and considered myself a Sikh of Guru, afterall I was studying and students has tough life! Everybody knows that! :-)

Slowly after all sometime, I learned Japji Sahib and didn’t need a Gutka. I was so proud of myself, as my dad asked me to at least learn the Japji Sahib after my degree, and I was proud that I have done it within few months of my joining the college! Ha! Now I think what my dad used to think of me!! :-)

Well, in college, some “Kutter” guys, or extremists as some say, used to ask me why don’t I wake up early? Slowly they too faced defeat! :-)

I recited “Amrit Vela Sach Naao, Vadeyaaee Veechar” everyday in Japji Sahib. We all do, right? I even tried to translate in my language, and I really deciphered Amrit Vela as A-mrit (Antonym of Death) Vela (time). So I thought Guru Sahib is referring some time when we don’t feel death and that is the time to remember the Lord!! I may be correct in literary meanings, but I myself did not satisfy my mind!

I thought I have become a Gyani, and started writing posts on Online Forums. Once we get a little knowledge, we start singing Philosophy! Please pardon me, I forgot to mention that I am talking about this time, when I had become Engineer, and got a job! I still used to crib over waking early! I was already 23-24! I had starting earning for myself, seldom send money to home. Parents were good as ever, always said, “It is your money, and spend it on you!” - I cry sometime over this! Those parents, who raised me, sent me to good school and Engineering College, knowing the condition of house is not so good financially, still I never felt any financial hindrances in my studies!

Well, I was doing okay at my work, woke up usually after 8hrs of sleep, and hurried in the morning to get ready, tie Turban, do 5 baanis (in 45 mins!) – I was proud of myself having so much speed in doing Baani! And running for the Office bus. Everything was so good; I was doing a job in a good company, earning money, could recite Baani in less time, as I was remembering most part, had friends, what else do you need? Ofcourse, I missed away from being home, but still…

At last, I was the chosen one from the team to be sent to USA on a project which was for some 1 to 2years! I was delighted to go to the land of opportunities and “opportunists”! Well, anyway, I reached USA on Sunday evening, and had to join on Monday morning! The bus for office used to start at 7:35am and that meant, not 1 min early, not 1 min late! I woke up at 7:10am – jet-lag may be, couldn’t just hear the alarm in my cell-phone, forgot I had set the alarm in Indian time, and it would ring only when it is 6am in India! :-) Happens!

First day at Onsite! What will client say when I go late? First thoughts in my mind! I hurriedly got up, had shower, and didn’t even fix (:-)) my beard properly, tied Turban and flew out! Who has time to do Baani today??? Reaching office was primary concern! I was feeling guilty inside of not doing Baani on first day in USA, yet I said Guru knows it!

We will be good, if we realize that it is our mistake, and stop giving excuses…

Well, the initial days were very tough, could get only 5-6hrs of sleep every day! I used to crib a lot over my sleep, but to myself! Couldn’t think how can complete my 8hrs of sleep! Then I decided to sleep right after I come from work and then wake up after 2hrs. I tried that, slowly I realized that my sleep is going well over 8hrs if consolidated! But I said “continuous” 8hrs of sleep is must! I was not even a Student, nor a child, still I had excuse that my work demanded most of mental pressure, and I needed sleep!

I was 27 already. No improvement over effort in sleeping less, in fact no effort at all. I had made one friend in USA, who used to wake up early, everyday, at 4am! I was shocked! Even in USA? He asked me to do Amrit-vela Simran at his home every Saturday and Sunday, I opted for Saturday only. However I did have the same conclusion in my mind for Amrit Vela, the time where you awaken from Death! Which death I was thinking, even I didn’t know!

Still, I joined him, we were soon accompanied by couple more Singhs, and this went on for 3-4 months. After some time, I started feeling bored and cumbersome of the process, rather felt tired every Friday night. Soon, the Amrit-Vela Simran was called off! I was glad that my friend’s family was coming from India to join him, and he then could not continue with Amrit-Vela Simran on Saturdays. Devil me!

Days went by; I was still having my 7-8hrs of sleep, never thought of waking up early. Saturdays are for sleeping!

More time was gone, I never could realize the meaning and importance of Amrit Vela, as why each and every individual who appeared Gursikh, stressed on Amrit Vela so much? My concrete-rigid mind never seemed to accept what they were offering!

continued...

Comments

Popular Posts