8 hours of Sleep??? - Part 3

Suddenly, I had some experience of getting company of some fellows who were trying to understand Gurbani in a practical way. Real students of Sikhism, I must say, they helped me realize that Sikhism is nothing but about being a student, who needs constant learning from the Guru. Upon their company, surprisingly, nobody asked me to do anything. I think they mistook me as a Gursikh! Well, I started “studying” Gurbaani instead of just reading it everyday. The guilt of skipping the Paath was eroding away as I was studying the Gurbaani. Another guilt was building up inside over wasting my time in life so much!

I had got some translations in PDFs and some MP3s related to Gurbaani, and started working on them. I had plenty of time after I returned from work. Soon, I started on Japji Sahib, and slowly reached the same Pauree, where it is written –

“Amrit(h) vela, Sacch Naao, Vadeyaayee Veechaar”


I was so used to that word; I was not going to miss its real meaning! I was enthusiastic to read its meaning, hoping to correspond my deciphered meaning!

To my surprise, all translations referred that time as really quite early in the morning, which made my heart sink! My scientific and technical mind, which needed everything logical in order to understand, was unable to understand the single concept of waking up in early hours. How can Gurus who said we need to remember the Lord’s name every moment, are giving special consideration to an early hour of morning?

I was surprised, and felt that either all are wrong or I am really not understanding or not trying to understand the concept of waking early? The truth was, I was not trying to understand!

Somehow, one day I woke up early, everything was so good, I had got time to freshen up properly, eat breakfast and do Paath also! This made me feel good! Then I tried to think and searched the PDF for Amritvela. There are numerous Shabads which are being said in importance of early hours of morning.

I again felt bad, as why didn’t I understand, and why did I just follow my so-called technical brain, whilst it was always written there?

Enthusiastically, next day, I woke up 1 hour early, felt well. Got advice from a dear friend, as not to reduce my sleep instantly, rather make it slow descent. “

I tried this for some days, but to my self-disappointment, I just could not wake myself up even 1 hr early.

I feel shattered and helpless over my lack of ability for waking up early…. I just could not wake up early….

Comments

Saravjeet said…
i think same story happens with most of the sikhs in childhood, me also amongst them.:):)
but Guru di kirpa naal, now instead of reading gurbaani, we r studying gurbaani n feel more satisfied then earlier.

Popular Posts